I am running to be your Supervisor on the Volusia Soil and Water Conservation District because we NEED CHANGE NOW to protect Volusia County’s water resources, natural areas, wildlife, food producers, and communities.
As Volusia County continues to grow, we risk undermining the very resources on which our health and economy depend: clean and adequate water supplies, some of the most beautiful natural areas and beaches in Florida, and the lands where small farms produce healthy foods. As a scientist, I have studied for 30 years the relationships among plants, nutrients, and water. As an educator, I have taught thousands of students ecological principles, the science behind environmental issues, and the elements of sustainable communities. But now, I must go beyond research and teaching and voting. In the last 12 years in Florida, we have lost ground on environmental protections, so I believe it is time to step up and lead at the community and state level. As a Soil and Water Conservation District Supervisor, I will use my knowledge and experience to be both your voice and your technical advisor. I will work to give your interests a seat at the table to advocate for Volusia County:
- Stop the ongoing extinction of Volusia’s native species by protecting Florida’s wildlife corridor.
- Smarter growth principles such as low-impact development and green infrastructure
- Planning for long-range climate impacts to deal with sea level rise, saltwater intrusion, and increased severe storm risks
- Aggressive freshwater conservation strategies, including native landscaping, more pervious surfaces in urban areas to recharge the aquifer, and protection of wetlands
- Support of local farmers and promotion of urban food production opportunities
- Advancement of K-16 environmental education and student engagement in research of local natural systems and environmental issues.
Follow me here, on Facebook – @Wendy4SoilandWater, and on Instagram – @Wendy4SoilandWater to engage in the conversation about how we can work together to protect Volusia County’s natural resources, economy, and communities.